Sunday, November 12, 2006

Programming our Child

I had another doctor's appointment a few days ago. The goal was to check my glucose level and blood pressure. My BP levels are "boring" as Dr. Evita teased, and no red-flags about a too-high, or too-low glucose reading. I've gained 16 lbs (entering my third trimester), and the tetanus shot (in the back-side...hallo!) caught me off guard but I survived.

Dr. Evita was telling my husband and I that next week would be a good time to start "playing" with Cutie Spotts, as his/her hearing is becoming more and more attuned to our voices. She talked about the importance of the bonding as well as the learning for both us and the baby. She suggested tapping on my belly, watching and waiting for kicks, and singing/talking to our little one.

Ben had a better suggestion. He leaned into my tummy, and in a robotic voice repeated, "You will be a good teenager...you won't give us trouble... discipline won't be an issue." I looked around at the doctor and two nurses as I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Dr. Evita was have coughing fits of laughter, and the two shy nurses were in the corner covering their mouths with stiffled giggles. I told Ben that we're not "programming" our child, but bonding through songs, coochie-coos, and sweet nothings. He stopped. Silence. Hummm....

I couldn't ask for a better life-mate, a sweeter husband, a more caring man than my husband, Ben. And oh yeah, he makes me laugh too.

2 comments:

Jenn Sanders said...

Good to hear that things are going good.

Anonymous said...

Kollin was glad to read that some one other than him was trying to program their children. It is so hard for him to punish the girls but knows that it will help them to grow up knowing right from wrong!!! We will be praying for you guys and appreciate all the hard work you are doing to further Gods kingdom. Love you guys The Robbins Clan