Saturday, July 28, 2007

Tim Tam Slam

Libby and I learned about a glorious and tasty tradition. It has (apparently) been around in many cultures and countries for years and years. And, even a few Americans (mostly college students, I think?) know about it. But we were in the dark.

Now we are enlightened and happier because of it.

First, Tim Tams are a tasty, chocolate covered cookie made in Australia -- although the ones we buy in India are made in Indonesia. I prefer the ones with a mint filling which, when refrigerated, remind me of Girl Scout "Thin Mint" cookies. But the Tim Tam Slam is best when using the standard, chocolate-filled cookie.

So what is the "slam"? The procedure involves "biting off opposing corners of the Tim Tam and then using it as a 'straw' to suck up a hot beverage and then, just before the biscuit falls apart, it is placed in the mouth." Yes, there is a lot of info on the internet about this ceremonious delight including a Wikipedia entry.

Today, I tried it using hot chocolate. Libby tried it using coffee. We also followed these "rules" which a visiting Biola grad told us about.
1. You must never "slam" alone. It is a community experience.
2. After you "slam", you should tell at least 5 people about this life changing experience.
3. When you put the cookie in your mouth, you are not allowed to chew. Just let the cookie melt away into blissful, delicious mush...and then swallow.

If you want to try this amazing experience which will change your life (okay, probably not), find out more about where to buy Tim Tams in your country by reading this Wikipedia entry. Here's to a new generation of Tim Tam Slammers!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I heard about the Tim Tam Slam on an Aussie blogger friend's blog. I searched on the internet and found that they are sold at Cost Plus World Market! (Yes, if you are in Oregon, you can get them there).

Denis and i tried "the slam" with our morning lattes. Sorry, it wasn't life changing. Denis decided it was a most inefficient way to eat cookies. I thought it was okay. But most interesting to me was getting to have a little taste that my Australian friends enjoy.