Saturday, April 26, 2008

What is costly non-veg?

As many of you know, we've moved and now live three houses down from our former home. During the last minute (which took three weeks) touch-ups on the interior decor', I experienced these comments from our curious painter.

As he touched-up the paint in Shane's room, he asked if the crib was Shane's bed. I said Yes to which he replied, "Wow, if I was a baby I would be so happy!"

When finishing the work in the kitchen, he said/asked, "You use olive oil?" I replied Yes I do. He commented, "David (in the bible) was anointed with olive oil. Good you use olive oil."
I realize that buying imported olive oil is a huge splurge on my part, but I've come to peace with that. The health benefit trumps cost.

When cleaning up paint chips he asked, "What is the cost of a plane ticket to America?" I referred to Ben and said I was bad with numbers.

After polishing the TV stand with a smelly solution, he asked "What is costly non-veg in America?" (translation: What meat is expensive?) Not exactly a meat expert myself I said, Umm, Beef. Beef and duck. "Duck?" He then added, "In America Indian's eat lots of meat but when they return home, they don't." I didn't have a comment for that one either.

It's easily to get caught up in the normalcy's of life, but there are cultural learning moments at every twist and turn!

1 comment:

Jenn Sanders said...

I love the interaction.... fun conversation. I'm sure that Traci is a little jealous!